The WCA Disciplinary Committee (WDC) is looking for new members! Everyone can apply, and we encourage community members who are not part of the WCA staff to send their application.
What does the WDC do?
Most of our work consists of investigating disciplinary incidents at competitions, such as cheating attempts or inappropriate behavior. If the circumstances require it, we may issue warnings or bans. We also give feedback to WCA delegates on how to handle certain situations during WCA competitions.
If you are interested in the details of our rights and duties, check out the motions 10.2022.3 – Disciplinary Committee and 15.2022.1 – Suspensions and other Sanctions, as well as the Code of Conduct. The Disciplinary Log contains public announcements made by the WDC in the past. Feel free to ask questions about any of this in the Disciplinary section of the WCA forum.
The only strict requirements for WDC members are:
- Ability to communicate in English (written)
- Familiarity with the WCA competition environment (having attend a few competitions is enough)
Other qualities we look for are:
- Ability to discuss reasoning and ideas with team members
- Logical and analytical reasoning
- Communication skills
The following qualities are useful, but not necessary:
- Expertise in one or more speedcubing events
- Fluency in a language other than English
The committee would greatly benefit from the diversity of their members. We therefore especially encourage applications from community members with a different cultural background, nationality, age and gender from the current members.
Applicants can send their application as a PDF document to email@example.com before Friday, October 14, 2022, 23:59 UTC. The application document should contain:
- A brief personal introduction
- Summary of activities done for the WCA and for the cubing community
- Overview of the personal skills relevant to the role
- Motivation for applying to the WDC
Everything should be contained in a single PDF file. Applicants can expect a reply to confirm the receipt of the application within 24 hours. The selection process will start after the application period is over, and it might include an interview or other kinds of assessment.
If you have any questions feel free to contact the WDC leader at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Board is providing notice as required by Bylaw 2.12 of the Annual Meeting of WCA members which will be held on October 8 at 18:00 UTC. Members will be able to tune into this meeting via a livestream hosted on the WCA Twitch. In this folder you will find the information packet related to the annual meeting which contains all relevant documentation which will be discussed at the meeting.
We look forward to your participation in the upcoming annual meeting.
The WCA Financial Committee (WFC) is looking for a few new members to add to its team. The applications are open to everyone; it is not a requirement to hold a current position in the WCA to be considered.
What does the WFC do?
- Day-to-day bookkeeping using Xero, managing the finances and cash flow of the WCA.
- Determine the annual budget for the WCA and forecasting, including analysis and projections of competitor counts.
- Manage the Dues system including invoicing and credit control.
- Complete tax and other regulatory compliance forms on behalf of the WCA.
- Review applications for funding in accordance with the Equipment Funding and Travel Reimbursement policies.
- Other financial tasks requested by the WCA Board or in accordance with our Motions.
The official rights and duties of the WFC are documented in WCA Motion 10.2021.6.
The qualities and requirements expected of candidates are:
- Good math or data analytics skills.
- Good written English.
- Time commitment of 2-5 hours per week.
- Prompt review and response to committee emails.
The following are not required, but it would be useful for new WFC members to have experience with any of the following:
- Experience in finance, tax, or accounting.
- Experience using spreadsheets and familiarity with Google G-Suite.
- Knowledge and experience in non-profit or corporate finances.
- US tax and IRS knowledge.
Candidacy documents must include:
- A brief cover letter and personal introduction, including your motivation for applying to the WFC.
- A WCA resume listing your involvement with the cubing community so far.
- Your professional resume (especially if math/accounting/finance related).
You can expect an immediate reply to confirm whether your application is complete, and may receive a request for an interview with the WFC Leader.
Please submit your application by Tuesday, 11 October, 2022 at 23:59 UTC to the WCA Treasurer and Leader of the WCA Financial Committee, James Molloy (email@example.com). Applications will be reviewed by the WFC Leader and Senior Members. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate in reaching out first before sending your application.
Thank you for your interest in joining the WFC, and we look forward to receiving your applications!
Due to the terms ending for both Callum Goodyear and Saransh Grover on the Board of Directors, an anonymous election took place on August 31, 2022 to elect new members. The election was done according to Motion 5.2021.1: Election of Directors.
The Board received applications from:
We are happy to announce that the election was successful and that Callum was elected to renew his term on the WCA Board of Directors! We wish him the best of luck with his duties! We thank Calvin for his application and his continued commitment to the WCA. We would also like to thank Saransh for his work on the WCA Board during his term.
Applications from both candidates can be viewed here.
The WCA Results Team (WRT) is looking for devoted and trustworthy team members!
Do you like numbers? Are you the type of person quickly spotting typos or inconsistencies in restaurant menus that others miss? Does it drive you crazy when data lacks precision? If yes, then you might be a very good fit for the WRT!
The qualities that you should bring to become a WRT member include:
- You are very responsive and willing to work on WRT tasks regularly.
- You have a good sense of detail and you are able to handle data precisely and consciously.
- You are a highly trusted and reliable member of the WCA community and can responsibly handle access to the WCA database. Ideally, you are already a WCA employee or have a recommendation from one.
- You have at least a basic understanding of what a (relational / SQL) database is.
- Existing experience with SQL (MySQL) is beneficial, but not strictly mandatory.
As a WRT member you will work on the following regular tasks:
- Verifying, uploading and publishing competition results.
- Handling change requests to results or personal data.
- Supporting WCA Delegates and WCA committees with data-related problems and requests.
- Investigating inconsistencies in the WCA database.
- Analyzing the WCA’s data to provide insights for other WCA staff members.
- Managing and enforcing WCA’s Data Protection policies.
- Handling requests from Registered Speedcubers and WCA Staff on Data Protection matters.
On average, the membership in the WRT requires approximately 5-6 hours per week. In particular, you should be ready to spend 30-60 minutes at least every second/third day on handling time-critical regular WRT work (e.g. result submissions).
In return, you gain a deeper insight into the structure of the WCA and the WCA database, and you will actively contribute to ensuring the integrity of the WCA’s competition results. The official rights and duties of the WRT as described in the Motions of the WCA can be found here.
If you are interested in joining the WCA Results Team, please send an application to WRT leader Sébastien Auroux (firstname.lastname@example.org). The application should at least include a comprehensive description of yourself, showing why you would be a good addition to the WRT, and your motivation and goals for becoming a WRT member.
The application deadline is August 31st 2022 23:59 UTC. Following that date, the applications will be reviewed and discussed among the current WRT members and a decision will be made about 3-5 weeks after.
We are looking forward to your application!