Dear WCA Community,
Today, the WCA Board met in an emergency Board meeting to decide how to address the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and what we can do to help minimize the spread. The Board of Directors have agreed upon the following approach.
Out of an abundance of caution, Delegates have been requested to cancel all WCA Competitions even when the holding of the competition does not contravene any local government or health organization directives for competitions held between March 17th and April 19th.
Competitions that are held will be required to take extreme measures of care to help mitigate and prevent the spread of the virus including, but not limited to:
- Where practicable and available Competition Organizers and attending Delegates should provide hand sanitizer.
- Competitors should be encouraged to bring hand sanitizer and sanitizer wipes with them even if these will be provided.
- Competitors should be directed to sanitize their hands or wash them with soap and water whenever practicable.
- All attendees should be encouraged to wipe their puzzles with sanitized wipes as often as they can and especially when their puzzles are passed from person to person.
- All attendees should be encouraged to bring disposable tissues with them.
- In the event that an attendee needs to cough or sneeze, ask that they do so into a disposable tissue or into the crook of their elbow.
- During inspection, competitors are permitted to wipe their puzzles with a sanitized wipe.
- Where practicable please wipe the solving station and scrambling tables with sanitized wipes and at least between rounds and groups.
All competitions held between Tuesday, March 17th and Sunday, April 19th can only proceed with the express written consent of the WCA Board of Directors.
During this time, we ask competitors and their families to exercise caution and evaluate the risk when deciding to attend a competition.
- Under no circumstances should anyone that shows any symptoms associated with COVID-19 attend a WCA Competition. This includes any guests of Competitors. Those symptoms include, but are not limited to:
- Fever / High temperature
- Shortness of breath
- Anyone who has been into contact in the last two weeks with somebody who has a confirmed case of COVID-19 should not attend any WCA Competition.
- Vulnerable people should not attend any WCA Competition.
Delegates have been asked to amend the refund policy to provide competitors with refunds on cancellations that are notified up to the date before the first day of the competition. Competitors who are feeling ill or who do not feel safe attending a competition are asked to contact the Organizer(s) and/or Delegate(s) of the competition.
No new competitions will be announced where the first date of the competition is on or before April 19th. Competitions in which the first day of the competition is on or before May 15th will require express written permission of the Board. Delegates have been advised not to plan any new competition before May 15th. Competitions may still be subject to cancellation.
This policy is in effect until April 19th, but may be extended at the discretion of Board of Directors.
We appreciate that the situation and severity of spread of the virus is vastly different all around the world, but we have a responsibility to protect our WCA Staff, Competition Organizers, Competitors, and the general public.